Friendy Friday with the inimitable Cynthia St. Aubin!
I am ludicrously fortunate to count Cynthia as a good friend. This lady has been there for me, cheered me on, given me the guidance I needed, and with her books, she's provided the laughter and tears that fulfilled me. I met Cynthia online loooong ago, perhaps somewhere around 2012? I'd only just started thinking perhaps I might want to be an authory person and I fell in love with her wonderful Case Files of Dr. Mathilda Schmidt, which is a given since there is literally no way to resist her once you've been caught in St. Aubin's Web. (I just made it a thing.) She's the stuff of legends, of unicorns, Cat huffing, rainbows and unending supplies of cheese. She's lovely, talented, and brilliant, AND she has a new freakin' book coming out with Thomas and Mercer publishers!
I fell in love with Jane Avery in the first book, Private Lies, and I can't WAIT to see what she gets up to, or who she gets up against, in the next installment!
BUT FIRST! Cynthia was brave enough to take on the World's Most Dangerous Interview here on the Rock 'n' Romance Blog, and I'm sure you'll have a giggle or five while reading her answers....
1. Name a liquid you’ve shot out of your nose while laughing… bonus points for what made you laugh. Chocolate milk, and I’m pretty sure my brother Steve is to blame for making faces at me across the breakfast table. I’d like to say it was as good coming up as it was going down, but alas, not so much. 😉
2. What’s your favorite music to dance to? Okay, this is totally embarrassing and I’m definitely dating myself here, but 90’s rap is totally my jam. DMX, Nas, Dr. Dre, Biggie, Ol’ Dirty Bastard.
3. Name the first book you read as a young person with sexy times in it. How many times did you read it? Ohhhh boy. It’s about to get a little weird. Flowers in the Attic was my first. I must have read that book dozens of times. And I might have read the sexy times scene is question more than that. Don’t judge me! (Okay you can judge me a little)
4. What is the most fascinating thing you’ve discovered because of writing? I’ve discovered that cerebrospinal fluid smells sweet when it burns. Because: talking to firefighters about the smell of a burning body, naturally.
5. Name a reading guilty pleasure. Um, so, occasionally, when life gets hard and my brain is mush, I’ve been known to plow through a stack of R.L. Stine books. I know they for the kids and all, but probably that accurately reflects my intellectual maturity level.
6. Which book boyfriend/girlfriend (wither one you’ve read or written) sets the standard for all heroes/heroines in your writing? That unique (dis?)honor goes to the dream team of Joe Morrelli and Ranger from Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. It’s entirely her fault that I don’t seem to be able to write a single book that doesn’t have at least two potential book boyfriends vying for our plucky heroine’s attention.
7. Name a book that scared the bejeebers out of you and why it scared you. That would have to be IT by Stephen King. Come to think of it, just about anything from Stephen King…And I think I find them so scary because all the characters are so infinitely relatable that everything happening to them seems so completely real.
8. If you had to choose a movie or book to live in, what would it be? This is going to sound a little creepy, but Dead Poet’s Society. An eternal New England fall in the 1950’s where Robin Williams is still alive and Carpe Diem is the order of the day.
9. Name your author superpower and how does it come out in your writing? The super-human ability to notice the most ridiculous of tiny details. It comes out in my writing as arcane descriptions of the texture of sand or the texture of a French fry.
10. Which book do you wish you’d written? Cheese: A love story.
11. Which musical describes your life? Rocky Horror Picture Show 😉
I think it's safe to say that she could write one helluva love story about Cheese, or southern bbq, or any of the other goodies one likes to attack with their face (I learned that phrase from her and it provides such a good visual, as does her writing!).
Be sure to pre-order your copy today! https://amzn.to/2Obh0jN The book is LIVE on November 13!
I can't wait to see what adventures Cynthia takes on next. And here are a couple of my fave pics we took together at this past RT Booklovers Convention because. It's so fun to find a blonde bombshell that's actually taller than me by a skosh haha.
Here's some linkage for your use: -- Like me: https://www.facebook.com/cynthia.saintaubin
Friend me: https://www.facebook.com/cynthia.st.aubin
Follow me: https://twitter.com/CynthiaStAubin
Forgive my lousy selfie game haha.
So what else is new in the world of Rock 'n' Romance? I'm DYING writing my latest WIP, which is my National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) project. It's a romantic comedy set in Spain. That's all I can tell you. And I have no idea whether or not it's going to work.
I hope you will ALL pick up Worst Holiday Ever, which comes out on Thursday next week. I can't wait for you to meet Dalton and Orrie. I love these boys so hard, especially Orrie. He's a bit like me and I kind of made him suffer a bit, which I feel terrible for, but he gets SUCH a great guy I'm hoping he won't hold it against me. The other stories in the anthology are going to be hysterical. I know these authors and I can tell you, they are wicked talented.
If you haven't picked up a copy, here's the link.
And that's it for this week. Stay Tuned for more Rock 'n' Romance...